Chicken Cacciatore alla Figliola
Our very own Managing Director, Greg Rinehart, shares this recipe handed down in his uncle’s family since they emigrated to Canada in the 1950s. “Great-Grandma Figliola” was born in a small Sicilian village where she perfected her Chicken Cacciatore recipe. Enjoy this dish with a glass of Colpasso Grillo DOC Sicilia Appassimento, 2021, Lot 3716
- 3-4 lbs boneless chicken, a mix of legs and thighs
- About 1/2 cup of Corn starch for dredging
- Sea salt, pepper, and chilli flakes to taste
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying chicken parts in
- 1 or 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine
- 1 (28oz) can San Marzano tomatoes and juice, tomatoes crushed by hand
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 8oz (227 g) Crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup pitted green and black olives
- 1 tbsp capers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Clean and pat chicken dry and remove skin if desired. Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in corn starch, coating each piece lightly, and tap off any excess starch.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil, add a tablespoon or two of olive oil for flavour, and brown the chicken. Cook skin side down until skin is golden, about 5 minutes. Turn and continue cooking all sides, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place browned chicken in a large roasting pan, and cover with crushed tomatoes. Mix in the olives, capers, oregano, chilli flakes and wine. Add in the sliced onions, and drizzle them with a little olive oil. Cover and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and increase the temperature to 375°F. Stir, and add the peppers and mushrooms; drizzle with a little more olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. You may want to add a little more wine at this point. Continue cooking until chicken is tender and vegetables are cooked. Stir and test occasionally.
- Serve with pasta or rice
Order this wine by October 24, 2022