Bacalhau a Bras Recipe
The exact origin of this dish is unknown, but the consensus is that this originated in the Bairro Alto neighbourhood in Lisbon. This is a simple dish that showcases cod, Portugal’s best-known fish.
- 14 oz. (400g) salted cod
- 1 lb. (500g) potatoes, cut into French fries or shoestrings
- 1 large onion
- 1-2 large garlic cloves
- 6 eggs
- Pepper, to taste
- Parsley, to taste and for garnish
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Olives, preferably green olives marinated in vinegar
- Soak salted cod, at least overnight and up to 3 days, changing water everyday.
- Boil fish in water for 15 min, then remove skin and bones. Tear fish into small pieces.
- In deep pan, cook onions and garlic on low heat with olive oil until golden.
- Add cod and cook 2-3 minutes until olive oil is absorbed.
- Add potatoes and stir in eggs. Do not let combination solidify.
- Place mixture in dish and garnish with olives and parsley.